Most Black men have coarse facial hair and need products that will soften and moisturize their facial hair. These are the 5 best beard oils for Black men that do exactly that. Using these will have your beard looking sleek, shiny, and best of all, healthy.
Table of Contents
Bevel Beard Oil (Our Top Pick)
Finding grooming products specifically for Black men is like trying to guess the winning numbers for tonight’s $600 million dollar Powerball jackpot––it’s hard as hell.
I love this brand because they’re products for Black men, made by Black men. They understand the fight with ingrown hairs and razor bumps Black men are prone to and their products are designed specifically to help alleviate those problems.
They’ve been featured in GQ Magazine’s “Best Stuff” and won Allure Magazine’s 2020 Best of Beauty Award.
This product is one of the best beard oils for Black men because of the phenomenal ingredients it’s made with, and how great it performs.
There’s some amazing Essential Oils like Jojoba, Sunflower Seed, Grape Seed, Avocado, and Olive Oil, which are all the top-of-the-line essential oils known to soften facial hair and keep it hydrated and healthy.
I also love that it’s lightweight and non-greasy. That means you don’t have to worry about that heavy feeling on your face that some beard oils give you. Especially from big box brands like Dove and Axe.
- I love how lightweight and non-greasy this beard oil is. It doesn’t feel heavy on your face or weighs your facial hair down.
- Has amazing essential oils that reduce dryness and leaves your beard hydrated and extra moisturized––the key to beard health.
- Paraben-free. Also doesn’t have any artificial dyes or other harmful chemicals.
- It’s super oily. If you already have oily skin, it may not be the best choice for you.
- The scent is super strong. Can be overwhelming and clash with your cologne if you use too much.
If you’re looking for a brand that just hits different, Scotch Porter is the go-to. They launched back in 2015 and since then have gone on to be one of the most successful grooming brands for Black men.
They’ve been featured in the NY Post and have even partnered with Instagram to help create beard features for some of their filters.
Their beard serum is another product that is one of the best beard oils for black men this year. They use the best essential oils and vitamins like Jojoba Seed Oil, Avocado Oil, and Vitamins B, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E.
All these ingredients work together to get your beard looking right. They hydrate and moisturize the hell out of even the most coarse and dry facial hair around.
I love how soft and smooth it leaves my beard.
And it smells good, too. They created a scent that is a mixture of Sandalwood Vanilla, and Powdery Musk that gives this beard oil a super clean, sweet, but uber manly scent.
Think of it as a scent you’d wear on your Valentine’s Day best before you take your girl out to dinner.
And it’s a huge plus that it locks in the moisture your beard needs all day long, so you don’t have to worry about your beard drying out by the end of the day.
- Has some of the best vitamins and oils that will hydrate even the driest beards with long-lasting moisture.
- It smells amazing. I love the fresh, clean, sweet scent it gives your beard. It’s sweet but manly.
- It leaves your beard shiny and smooth without overdoing it. You’ll never look greasy or like you’ve used too much.
- It’s Vegan. There are no harsh chemicals that’ll destroy your beard or the skin underneath it.
- The scent is super strong and can irritate you if you’re sensitive to smells.
- It’s thick and takes a while to work all the way into your beard.
The Billy Jealousy brand is one of my all-time favorites. Places like GQ, Men’s Health, Esquire, and Forbes have all put the spotlight on their Vegan, all-natural products, praising them for how great they are.
Their Devil’s Delight Beard Oil is one of their bestsellers and a Grooming Lounge 2021 award winner.
And for good reason.
Their beard oil does everything you can ask for. It gets rid of flakes and relieves all the dryness that a lot of Black men experience with their facial hair. It has Jojoba Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, and Avocado Oil that will soak into your beard and strengthen it from inside each strand of hair.
It’s great for relieving itchiness and it’s super easy to use. Just dab some on your fingertips then massage the oil evenly through your beard and you’re done.
It doesn’t get any simpler than that.
My favorite aspect of this beard oil is its ability to fight itchiness. I’m one of those guys who struggles with ingrown hairs, razor bumps and super itchy skin when my beard is growing, so that alone makes this beard oil one of the best beard oils for Black men.
- Made with some of the best essential oils that are great for hydrating your beard and keeping it healthy.
- I love that it gets rid of itching and those annoying flakes that can show up in your beard. It’s a headache trying to get rid of them and this beard oil does exactly that.
- It works to make your beard thicker and fuller which is great if you struggle with a patchy beard or a beard that just won’t grow.
- It’s great for all beard types which is awesome.
- The scent is really sweet so if you’re not into sweeter scents it can be irritating, especially because it lingers all day.
- This is another beard oil that’s very oily. If you have oily skin, you need to remember to use a small amount or you can end up breaking out from clogged pores.
Bossman is the kind of brand that you rock when you want a sick beard that makes you feel bossed up. They celebrate the dude in all of us and bring the celebration to you in their Jelly Beard Oil, which can be found in thousands of Whole Foods around the country.
Their Beard Oil is a great conditioner for beards of all lengths. So, if you’re just starting to grow your beard out, this is a great product to enhance its growth.
It is made with Mango Butter, Aloe Leaf Juice, and Sunflower Seed Oil which keeps your beard hydrated, moisturized, and healthy. I also love that their Jelly Beard Oil is thick thanks to the Beeswax they use.
That thickness makes it go on smooth and gives your beard a nice coating that’ll last all day without feeling heavy and weighed down like some of the other brands out there.
- All-natural ingredients that are great for your beard and the skin underneath. The essential oils they use will hydrate and moisturize your beard and keep it looking shiny and healthy.
- I love how this beard jelly makes your beard super soft. You’ll get extra points from your girl every time she runs her hand along your face and feels how soft your beard is.
- It works really well for coarse and extra dry facial hair. That’s a major plus.
- It can get flaky and look like dandruff on some guys depending on the type of hair you have. You have to keep an eye out for that and add a moisturizer before the beard jelly to coat your facial hair.
- The scent lingers for a long time and takes a lot to scrub it off. So be sure to not use a lot or you’ll be walking around with an intense scent all day.
If you’re a badass, Cremo is for you. I love that this brand caters to the dude in all of us with their grooming products. To me, they’re like the Harley Davidson of men’s grooming––you can rely on them to get the job done.
Their beard oil is just as badass. It’s a great option for all different beard lengths, whether you’re rocking stubble, scruff, or a super beard long Rick Ross beard that’s growing down to the middle of your chest.
For the fellas with stubble, this is a great choice because it fights itch and irritation––something you know a lot about if you’ve ever tried growing your beard out. And it softens and moisturizes your beard and the skin underneath by using great ingredients.
There’s Aloe Leaf Extract, Cocoa Seed Butter, Coconut Oil, and Juniperus Virginiana Oil that’s the driving force for softening and hydrating your beard.
These are outstanding moisturizers that’ll have your beard looking shiny and healthy in no time.
It smells amazing, too.
It’s a light, fresh, outdoorsy scent that lingers on your beard for the entire day. It won’t fade a few minutes after you use it like other brands.
- Awesome ingredients. The butters and oils they use are phenomenal for hydrating and moisturizing your beard. It’s great for the fellas with dry skin or really coarse facial hair.
- I love that it works for all different beard lengths. Doesn’t matter if you are rocking stubble, scruff, or a long beard. It’ll work.
- It moisturizes your facial hair really well and softens even the coarsest facial hair you can find.
- If you have sensitive skin, it can be too harsh and cause you to break out.
- It’s also super oily, so even though it’s great for different beard lengths, if you have oily skin or your beard is just naturally oily, it could be too much and clog your pores.
Should Black Men Use Beard Oil?
And since Black men tend to have coarser and drier facial hair, beard oil is the perfect product to help get their beards healthy and maintain its health.
The key to a healthy, shiny, and sleek beard is its hydration and beard oils are packed with essential oils and vitamins that are necessary for a smooth and healthy beard.
I also recommend Black men use a good beard oil because most of them fight itchiness and ingrown hairs which is something most Black men have to deal with.
Because Black hair is curlier, it tends to create lots of ingrown hair which then turns into those horrible and annoying ass razor bumps. A good beard oil will fight all of that.
Should I Use Beard Oil Every day?
There isn’t a need to use your beard oil every single day. If you got a good one that’s packed with essential oils and really good vitamins like Vitamin E, you won’t need to use it every day.
Most beard oils are super oily, so you want to give your beard (and the skin underneath) time to breathe between applications.
Using beard oil, especially the super oily ones, every day can clog your pores and turn into acne or have your skin breaking out. That defeats the purpose. I want you to have an awesome beard that stops women in their tracks.
That won’t happen if you’re breaking out. My rule when it comes to anything with oils is less is more.
Using your beard oil two or three times a week is more than enough to get and maintain a smooth and healthy beard.
What To Look for In a Beard Oil for Black Men
They’re what’s going to soften your facial hair and help to keep it hydrated and moisturized and growing quickly and evenly.
I also would suggest you looking for one that fights ingrown hairs and itchiness. Since Black hair is curlier and coarser, it can cause ingrown hair and razor bumps as it starts growing.
That’s where the anti-itch aspect comes in.
And I’d also be sure to look for a beard oil that’s all natural, with no parabens or other harsh chemicals that can be really bad for your skin and your beard’s health.