Black men take our haircuts seriously. And if our regular barber isn’t available then we’ll cut our hair ourselves before we sit in another barber’s chair. And that’s exactly why this list of the 5 best clippers for Black men exist.
Do yourself a favor and grab one of these clippers to keep your lineup tight and your fade fresh for the times you can’t make it to the barbershop. You’ll thank me later.
Table of Contents
BaBylissPRO Blackfx Metal (Our Top Pick)
BaBylissPro is like the Bentley of hair clippers. For the past 50 years, they’ve been making some of the best hairstyling tools and products that are sold in over 100 countries around the world.
Their Blackfx Metal clippers are one of the best clippers for Black men and easily a favorite of mine on the list.
I love it for a boatload of different reasons. It has an ion rechargeable battery that gets a full charge super-fast. I’m talking less than two hours. And once it’s fully charged, it’ll hold it for hours, too.
It also comes with 8 comb attachments that are great for tightening up your fade, or giving yourself a full haircut.
But one of my favorite aspects about these clippers is that it’s great for beginners, too. If you’re new to cutting your own hair, this is one of the best options for clippers because it comes with a 5-deter taper control.
What that means is that you can get a super close taper fade without screwing up and cutting off way more than you wanted.
How many times have you accidentally cut too much off and had to just say screw it and cut the rest of your hair so it’s even?
Trust me, I’ve done it plenty of times. But with the 5-Deter Taper Control on these clippers, you don’t have to worry about that.
- I love that it’s cordless. That makes it super convenient to use without having to deal with cords getting in your way while you trim your hair.
- Its blades are made for all different hair textures. Doesn’t matter if you have coarse, curly, or fine hair, this clipper will work for you.
- Has a 5-detent taper control which is great for getting those close temple tapers or fading out the back. But also great for the dudes who are just learning how to cut their own hair.
- Not great for using on the face. It’s sharp so it can be harsh when you’re lining up your beard or mustache.
- Doesn’t come with a replacement charger. If you lose the charger or damage it, you’ll have to buy a whole new clipper.
Stylecraft has been one of the leaders in making clippers and other hairstyling products for over 30 years. They’ve been featured on several TV shows from Good Morning America to The Real. Magazines like Reader’s Digest and Hollywood Life have touted how great their products are too.
They’re really a super dope brand. And their Protégé Cordless Hair Clipper is one of the most kickass hair clippers around that you’ll love owning.
I love that it’s cordless. There’s nothing I hate more than fighting with the cord of my clippers while trying to line up my beard. One wrong pull and you can screw up your whole shit. With these clippers you don’t have to worry about that.
There’s no tangled mess of cords to get in your way or yank the clippers back when you’re pulling it to reach behind your ear. *deep sigh*
But the battery life is great, too. Just two hours of charging gives you a fully charged battery that lasts more than 4 hours. And unlike other brands, you can use any Micro USB charger for these clippers.
That’s a huge plus. Especially if you’re like me and lose things all the time.
But I also love that it has an adjustable zero gap blade. That makes a close cut and a sharp lineup super easy without accidentally balding yourself.
- It’s great that you can use any Micro USB to charge these clippers. It’s great that you don’t have to buy any replacement cords or a new set of clippers if you lose the charger it comes with.
- The adjustable zero gap blade is outstanding. I love that it can give you a super close cut and a bomb ass lineup.
- The rapid charge battery is one of the best. It charges super-fast and lasts a long time. That’s the kind of convenience I dig in a pair of clippers.
- It’s a lot quieter than other clippers. Don’t you hate that annoying, loud ass buzzing?
- Not great for doing designs in your hair. You’ll need to try a different set of clippers if that’s what you’re looking for.
- It can nip the skin which sucks. Especially when you’re trying to get a close cut or line up your beard or mustache.
If you’re a company that’s been around for 100 years, you know your shit and you make some amazing products. That’s Andis.
They’ve been making Master Clippers since 1922 that are so great they rake in more than $120 million dollars per year selling them.
If you’re looking for clippers that are a beast with tapering and fading, their Master Adjustable Blade Clippers are the bomb. And because of its cutting and tapering ability, it’s one of the best clippers for Black men who take their tapers and lineups as seriously as I do.
I love that it’s lightweight and waterproof.
That makes it super easy to use when you’re fresh out of the shower and your hair’s still a little wet or if you’re clumsy like me and would drop the whole thing in the sink.
- It does more than 14,000 cut strokes per minute which is phenomenal for doing fades and tapers.
- It’s quiet. There’s no loud and annoying buzzing in your ear while cutting your hair.
- There’s very little vibrating in your hand while you’re using these clippers.
- The longer you use it the warmer it gets so it can overheat sometimes.
- There’s no good grip on the handle which sucks if your hands get tired or sweaty.
Wahl is like the Jaguar of hair clippers. It’s a classic brand that’s been around for over a century. When you see the name Wahl, you know it’s one you can trust. It’s easily one of the best hair clippers for black men.
Their Magic Clip is one of the go-to’s for clippers you can use at home and still look like you’ve got a professional haircut.
What’s better than cutting your own hair but looking like you’re fresh out the barber chair?
The Wahl Magic Clip has one of the best blades I’ve seen. It’s a stagger-tooth blade that is great for blending and giving texture to your hair while you cut. That means this blade will give you a fire fade.
There’s also a lever on the side that you can adjust for a closer cut if you’re going for a bald fade or one of those fades that gets super close to the scalp as you move down towards your neck.
And it’s also another set of clippers that’s lightweight, too. It’s ergonomically sound so it won’t tire your hand out while you use it and there’s a really good grip, too, so you won’t drop it easily while using it.
- Lever adjusts the taper and texture of your hair.
- 90 Minutes of cordless cutting time.
- The crunch blade technology gives you a really smooth cut.
- It takes 2 hours to fully charge.
- It can feel less powerful when using it cordless.
Oster is another brand that’s been around for decades. For more than 75 years, they’ve produced everything from kitchen appliances to hair clippers.
The Fast Feed Hair Clipper is one of those top-of-the-line clippers that you can count on because it’s made that well. It has a pivot motor that’s super quiet while using it and works to cut your hair quickly and efficiently.
There’s a lever on the side of the clippers for easy blade adjustment which uses a lower clipper blade that allows your hair to flow into the blade and cut easily.
- Lightweight and super easy to use.
- Whisper quiet.
- It’s ergonomic and designed with an easy grip so you can feel comfortable using it for as long as you’d like.
- If your hair is longer, it can feel like it’s pulling your hair while you’re cutting.
- The blade gets really hot while using it which can end up burning you when it’s time to do your lineup.
What To Look for When Buying Hair Clippers for Black Men
When looking for the best hair clippers for Black men it’s important to focus on a few things. Your very first focus should be on finding a pair that has premium, high-quality blades. It’s important that they are sharp enough to cut through coarse and thick hair with no problem, while also being gentle on the scalp.
Caring for the scalp is super vital for Black men. We’re prone to getting all kinds of bumps on our scalp when you cut your hair, so it’s very important to invest in a good set of clippers that’ll be gentle but get the job done.
It’s also important that you get clippers with a strong motor. When the motor’s strong and fast, it, of course, makes the blades move at a faster speed. When the blades move at a faster speed, they cut your hair more easily.
Clippers with a slower motor can end up pulling on your hair and making your haircut more painful or even irritating your skin.
The next thing to look for is a strong and long-lasting battery. The days of corded clippers are over and it’s time to invest in one that you can move around easily with. Especially if you’re cutting your own hair.
It’s hard enough maneuvering into different angles to get your lineup just right, you don’t want a cord being in the way and screwing up your concentration, too.
Trust me. I know.