The best shampoos for Black men on this list all have three things in common: they clean TF out of your hair while still being high-quality, and they keep your hair healthy AF, too.
Table of Contents
Tea Tree Special Shampoo (Our Top Pick)
Tea Tree Special Shampoo was created by the legendary Paul Mitchell brand, who created some of the best award-winning hair care and grooming products on the market.
I particularly like the Tea Tree brand because their products are created with a focus on catering to local salons, not big chain stores like Walmart or Target.
The Tea Tree Special Shampoo is one of the best shampoos for Black men. Just look at some of the ingredients. There’s Jojoba Seed Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Peppermint Leaves which are all outstanding ingredients that keep your hair clean and healthy, but smelling great, too.
The Tea Tree and Jojoba Seed Oil alone are top, high-quality essential oils that will douse your hair with moisture and hydration each time you use this shampoo.
And it’s that moisture and hydration that will keep your hair super healthy.
This shampoo is also great for all different skin and hair types. Doesn’t matter if you’ve got a low fade, some ill 360 waves, or a Rasta with dreads, this shampoo will do an amazing job on your hair. But it won’t cause breakouts on your forehead and along your hairline.
And there’s a bonus: you can use this shampoo as a great aftershave, too. The soothing properties in the tea tree oil is great for your skin and will cool down any irritation you get from shaving.
- This shampoo is vegan, paraben-free, and cruelty-free. You don’t have to worry about harmful chemicals that will dry your hair out or cause damage when you use this shampoo.
- It keeps your hair shiny with a hint of gloss.
- Works for all different hair types. I love that it doesn’t matter what grade of hair you have, it’ll still work.
- The scent could be much better. It smells way too much like cleaning chemicals.
- I’m not a fan of the cooling effect. The tingling sensation is annoying and can feel like it’s burning.
Jack Black True Volume Thickening Shampoo
Jack Black isn’t specifically a Black man’s brand, but it was the #1 best-selling men’s skincare brand in 2020 according to The NPD Group/ U.S. Prestige Beauty Total Measured Market. And a title like that is well-deserved. They’ve been making some of the best men’s skincare products for over twenty years.
And their True Volume Thickening Shampoo is remarkable. Not only is it sulfate-free and great for removing dirt, oil, and buildup from other products you may use, it’s one of the best shampoos for Black men who’re struggling with hair loss or just have naturally thin hair.
They’ve incorporated botanicals and a thickening complex into this shampoo’s formula that Jack Black claims will rebuild hair follicles from the root to give your hair a thicker, fuller look and feel.
Who wouldn’t want their hair looking healthier and fuller?
But there are also some really great essential oils in the ingredients, too. There’s Tea Tree Oil and Sunflower Seed Oil which are awesome moisturizers for your hair, and there’s Lavender, which is great for giving a fresh, clean scent.
But my favorite ingredient is the Wheat Protein, which fortifies and builds thinning hair.
- This shampoo has awesome ingredients that’s great for the fellas struggling with hair loss. It’s one of the best shampoos for thickening your hair and giving it a fuller look.
- Has some really great essential oils like Tea Tree Leaf and Sunflower Seed Oil which are great for keeping your hair hydrated and healthy.
- It’s sulfate-free which means you don’t have to worry about those harmful chemicals that damage your hair and dry it out.
- May not be the best for guys with sensitive skin. Some of the ingredients can cause scalp acne or breakouts.
- It can take a while to see results. If you want your hair to be thicker and fuller, you have to be patient.
Billy Jealousy Monsoon Mist Tea Tree Shampoo
The editors over at GQ and Men’s Health know how great Billy Jealousy products are. They feature them in the pages of their magazines and all over their websites all the time. And I can’t help but agree with them.
This is one cool ass brand that focuses on outstanding grooming products for men.
What I love about this shampoo is that you get professional quality in a bottle you can use in the comfort of your own home. We even named it one of the 5 best professional shampoos because it’s that great, especially if you have naturally oily hair.
But while it’s great for stripping away excess oil and dirt from your hair, it’s also equally as great with moisturizing and hydrating your hair so it stays healthy by using essential oils like Tea Tree and Rosemary Oils.
These are some of the best essential oils you can find for moisturizing.
But there are also ingredients that help to restore your hair’s thickness and body. Ingredients like Wheat Germ Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, and Algae Leaf Extract are all great for feeding your hair with the nutrients it needs to grow––especially all the way down to the root.
And on top of all that goodness, this shampoo is great for giving relief to itchy and irritated scalps.
Other brands like Dove for Men and Axe can’t say the same.
- Has awesome ingredients that help hair to grow back while also keeping it nourished and hydrated.
- It’s a great shampoo that relieves that annoying itch an irritated scalp can cause.
- It’s a professional strength shampoo that you can use in the comfort of your own home without having to go to a salon or barbershop to get the quality.
- The scent isn’t as strong as I’d like. It’s really faint and that sucks because your shampoo should leave a nice lingering scent in your hair when you’re done using it.
Brickell Men’s Daily Strengthening Shampoo
When you’re sold in more than 110 countries around the world and talked about in the pages of GQ, Men’s Journal, Men’s Health, and Men’s Fitness, you must really have some kick ass products that not many other brands can compete with.
This is true for Brickell. Their products kick ass and are some of the bests shampoos for black men.
Their Men’s Daily Strengthening Shampoo is another one of those shampoos that’s one of the best shampoos for Black men dealing with thinning hair. And that’s thanks to the all-natural and organic ingredients.
And I’m talking about some of the best all-natural and organic ingredients. There’s Vitamin E, tea tree oil, hydrolyzed protein, Pro-Vitamin B5, & silk protein amino acids––all outstanding ingredients that keep your hair healthy, shiny, moisturized and hydrated––the key to healthy hair.
But these ingredients also strengthen your hair, too, making it thicker, fuller, and minimizing the thinning that leads to noticeable hair loss.
And of course, I’m always raving about natural products that are void of those harmful chemicals you find in big box brands, so I have to mention how this shampoo has no parabens, sulfates, gluten, or silicone.
If you’re looking for a shampoo that will help with your thinning hair but is also healthy, it doesn’t get much healthier than this one.
- Free of those harmful chemicals like parabens, silicone, and sulfates that damage your hair in the long-term.
- Has ingredients like Vitamin E, Tea Tree Oil, and Silk Protein Amino Acids that make your hair thicker and stronger.
- It’s all-natural and organic. You can use it without worrying about harmful effects on your hair and skin.
- The scent is minimal. I wish it was a lot stronger and lingered in your hair after using it.
- The tingling sensation can be harsh for the guys with sensitive scalps. It can feel like it’s burning.
- If your hair is coarse or thick, you’ll need to use more of this shampoo for it to feel like your hair is fully cleaned and moisturized. This shampoo tends to work better with a finer grade of hair.
Dr. Squatch Natural Men’s Shampoo
One of the best shampoos for black men is the Natural Men’s shampoo from Dr. Squatch. I love this brand because they’re committed to creating only the best and healthiest (and manliest) grooming and skincare products for men.
And they’re committed to changing the game for natural products––making them smell, feel, and work just as great, if not better, than those big box brands with household names.
But here’s what I love about their Natural Men’s Shampoo. It has some of the best moisturizing agents around. There’s Tea Tree Oil, Nettle Leaf Extract, and Comfrey Leaf Extract in this shampoo.
These are all ingredients that strengthen your hair, give it shine, and conditions so it stays moisturized, hydrated, and healthy.
They also have vitamins like Omega 6 and Linoleic Acid which are proven nutrients that moisturize even the driest and brittle hair.
But I also love that this shampoo is great for guys with dry scalps. It even fights dandruff.
And on top of all these outstanding qualities, it smells good, too.
I love the scent. It’s a cool and fresh ocean breeze scent that has a hint of citrus. And it lingers after you’ve washed the shampoo out and have dried your hair. All shampoos should be like that if you ask me.
- Paraben and sulfate-free. It’s an awesome natural shampoo that doesn’t carry any of those harmful chemicals that will leave you with dry, brittle, and damaged hair.
- It’s natural, which is always the best way to go, and it’s packed with some of the best essential oils and ingredients that will give your hair amazing results.
- I love the fresh, breezy, citrus-y scent it has. It’s amazing.
- If you have thin or fine hair, this shampoo might not be best for you. It works best for people with thicker, coarse hair.
- The ingredients may be too harsh for some people with sensitive scalps.
- Can make your hair feel dry if you use it too often.