The best pomades for curly hair men will always have three qualities: a great hold, frizz control, and give you a super-dope shine. They won’t have your hair looking dull or dried out and they’ll always have the best ingredients that moisturize and nourish your hair. Those are the qualities I look for in a pomade. And here’s the five best I’ve found for all the fellas with thick, curly hair.
Table of Contents
- 1 Layrite Superhold Pomade (Our Top Pick)
- 2 Redken Brews Pomade
- 3 Billy Jealousy Pomade
- 4 American Crew Pomade
- 5 Imperial Barber Pomade
- 6 Are Pomades Good for Curly Hair?
- 7 Pomade vs Gel: Which Is Better for Curly Hair?
- 8 Is Pomade Good for Frizzy Hair?
- 9 What To Look for When Buying Pomades for Curly Hair Men
Layrite Superhold Pomade (Our Top Pick)
If there’s one thing any good barber and hairstylist knows, it is which products work best and in what types of hair. And that’s where Layrite comes in. This is a brand created by a gang of former barbers who spent years perfecting their craft and researching the best formulas to create the perfect line of men’s hair products.
And that’s where their Superhold Pomade comes in. It should be no surprise that this is one of my favorite pomades. It’s actually one of the best water-based pomades you can get your hands on.
Aside from being water-based (which means it won’t clog your pores or give you scalp acne,) I love how great the hold is. It’s a super firm hold that is great for guys with thicker, coarse hair. And that’s what makes it one of the best pomades for curly hair men.
Because curly hair can be hard to tame, you need a pomade that’s going to get a good grip on your hair. And that’s exactly the kind of hold this one has. It’s a wax-type hold that will keep your hair in perfect condition all day without looking dry or hard and crunchy.
And if you’re going for the unruly, messy, bedhead look, it’s great for that, too. Just slab some onto your hair while it’s damp and you’ll have the perfect messy just rolled out of bed look that chicks love.
And my favorite part is the Castor Oil and Coconut Oil that are key ingredients. They’re super nourishing and moisturizing essential oils that are sure to keep your hair healthy.
- The hold is super firm which is perfect for curly hair. It’ll keep in shape without drying up and looking dull by the end of the day.
- Has some really great essential oils like castor oil and coconut oil that’ll keep hair healthy.
- It smells good as hell. Mild cream soda is the perfect scent for a pomade. It’s not too strong and not too sweet.
- It works best for curly, thick, and coarse hair. If you have straight or fine hair, you’ll need to grab a different pomade.
- It’s super sticky. I hate how much I have to wash my hands to get it off.
Redken Brews Pomade has a special place in my heart. Not only is it one of the best pomades for curly hair men, but it is also one of the best smelling pomades, too. The Redken Brews brand has been making some of the best hairstyling products in the world for over 50 years and running. And they’ve won countless awards throughout the years. That’s how great the Redken Brews brand is.
But here’s what I love about their pomade. This is one of those pomades that glides on with no fuss and leaves your hair looking sleek and perfectly styled. It doesn’t dry your hair out and it won’t have you walking around with those crispy curls that those cheap pomades cause.
I also love that it’s water-based (which is always better) because that means it won’t clog your pores and cause your scalp to break out like oil-based pomades.
And there are some really great ingredients, too, like Avocado, Beeswax, Castor Oil, and Fiber Minerals. These are key ingredients that are great for curly hair because they keep it tamed and healthy while also giving a great hold.
This pomade smells really good, too. It’s a perfect blend of freshness mixed with a citrusy, masculine scent that smells great in your hair. Plus, it’s not too strong and it won’t overpower your body wash or cologne, which is always a plus.
And one of the best parts? It won’t have your curls looking flaky when it dries. That’s a pet peeve of mine and I’m sure you hate it as much as I do.
- I love that it’s water-based because it won’t clog your pores or make you breakout. And it’s super easy to wash out when you’re ready.
- It’s lightweight. I love that it won’t weigh your hair down or have your curls feeling heavy throughout the day once it dries.
- Has a great natural-looking finish. Doesn’t get dull or dried out as the day goes by. That happens with brands like Dove or Old Spice.
- It’s not for different hair types. If you have thin or fine hair, you’re out of luck. Sorry.
- I wish the hold was a little stronger. Curly hair needs a super strong hold and this one could stand to be stronger to keep your curls in place longer.
If you’ve been featured in places like GQ, Men’s Health, and Esquire, you have some really great products that deserve to be talked about. And that’s exactly the case with Billy Jealousy––one of the coolest men’s grooming brands out there.
I really dig this pomade.
It’s one of the best pomades for curly hair because it’s super effective in giving you full control of your hair. No matter what style you’re going with, this is one of the pomades that is great for allowing you to restyle your hair later in the day if you want.
Plus, it’s got the type of hold that will keep every single strand in its proper place for the entire day until you decide to switch it up.
And it’ll do while fighting frizz. That’s one of the key features for fellas with curly hair to look for when choosing a pomade.
Because curly hair can get frizzy and out of control (especially during the summer and its god-forsaken humidity) you need a pomade that’s going to keep frizz to a minimum.
And that’s this one.
But there’s also some other really great aspects that I love about this pomade, too. Like the Saw Palmetto Extract in the ingredients. According to Billy Jealousy, that’s a key ingredient that slows hair loss and blocks the DHT chemical your body produces that causes hair loss.
- Gives your curls a nice high shine that doesn’t look too oily.
- Allows you to restyle your hair after applying it which is cool for when you want to switch your swag up before hitting happy hour with your coworkers.
- Has an amazing anti-frizz formula that’s one of the best. It’ll even keep your hair frizz-free in the summer heat.
- It smells good but the scent is too weak. I’d much prefer they made the scent stronger to keep your hair smelling nice and fresh while you’re wearing it. Everybody loves products with a nice scent.
- Using too much can cause your hair to flake when it dries. It’s important to remember that less is more, and you only need a nickel-sized amount to get a good hold.
- It’s sticky AF. Make sure you’ve got some good hand soap close by when you use this pomade.
Another brand that’s constantly mentioned in the page of GQ, Men’s Health, and Esquire is American Crew. And for good reason. They’ve been one of the top hair care brands, striving to be the best, since the early 90s.
What I love about their pomade is that it’s water-based which means it won’t clog your pores or cause any annoying breakouts for you to have to deal with.
And like most, if not all, water-based pomades, it washes right out of your hair easily when you’re ready.
But what makes it a perfect pomade for curly hair is the frizz-free formula. Of course, frizz is one of those annoying things that lots of dudes have to deal with, especially the fellas with curly hair, but with American Crew Pomade, it fights frizz with a moisture-rich hold.
It also has some great shine to it, too. You get a really good high-quality shine when you use this pomade. And it won’t fade or dull out within a matter of hours like a lot of other pomade brands that only care about taking your hard-earned cash.
And when it comes to ingredients, American Crew Pomade knows how to get it right. They’ve included some really great essential oils like Castor Oil in the formula. But there’s also Aloe Leaf Juice that moisturizes your hair and Beeswax that locks that moisture in.
It’s a brilliant formula if you ask me.
I also love the fibers they use. They make your hair look thicker and fuller and that’s especially great for any of the fellas whose hair may be thinning.
- It’s paraben free which is always awesome to not have to worry about those harmful chemicals eating your hair out.
- You can use this pomade on wet or dry hair. I love that.
- The ingredients are great for your hair. The essential oils give your hair the moisture it needs and Beeswax locks that moisture in place.
- I don’t like that it has alcohol in it. That’s not a great ingredient for your hair.
- It can leave your hair pretty stiff and crunchy if you use too much. All you need is a good finger length to get the job done.
- It can make your hair look dull when it dries. Especially if you overuse it.
What do you get when you get a group of master barbers with thirty years of combined experience together to create a haircare and grooming brand? Imperial Barber.
These guys know a boatload about creating some really amazing hair care products and here’s my favorite part: they’re all natural. It doesn’t get any better than that.
But the Imperial Barber Pomade is an outstanding pomade. You’re not going to find many that are better.
What I love about this pomade (aside from it being all-natural) is that it has an industrial-strength hold. The hold alone makes it one of the best pomades for curly hair. It keeps your curls tight and no matter which way you choose to style your hair, you don’t have to worry about it being destroyed by the end of the day.
This pomade also has a low shine, which is great for guys who already have naturally oily hair. When your hair is already oily and you use a pomade that’s rich in shine, it can throw your look off by making your hair look way too oily and overly processed.
That’s not something you have to worry about with Imperial Barber Pomade.
But there’s another great thing about this pomade that I really dig. Let’s say you did want your hair to be shiny and the hold a little lighter, all you have to do is dampen your hair and put less product in it.
I love that versatility. And I love that later in the day all you have to do is wet your hair a little to reactivate this pomade.
Can you imagine taking a quick bathroom break and coming back into the office looking like you’ve just gone and washed your hair and put some fresh pomade in it?
That’s dope if you ask me.
- The hold is strong AF. You don’t have to worry about your curls getting messed up. When you use this pomade, they stay put.
- Because it’s water-based, it washes out very easily. There’s no need to fight with it in the shower. One shampooing takes care of it.
- It’s all natural. There are no harsh chemicals or parabens to damage your hair in this pomade.
- The hold is super strong, so you have to wash it out every night. If not, you’ll have some super dull looking hair in the morning.
- If you overuse it, your hair can get those tiny flakes when it dries. Remember that less is more.
Are Pomades Good for Curly Hair?
Yes, pomades are definitely good for curly hair. Because curly hair is sometimes harder to style and control, pomades give you the option to freely try different styles with your hair. They also are great for adding texture and sleekness to your hairstyle.
Pomades are also great for curly hair because they (the good ones) have ingredients that feed your hair and keep it moisturized and hydrated while still being able to tame frizz and style it in a way you’ll like.
Pomade vs Gel: Which Is Better for Curly Hair?
When it comes to the battle between pomades and gel, I’m on the side of pomades. There’s a big difference between the two products. Gels are much harsher on your hair––especially if you have curly, stubborn hair that you’re trying to style.
Gels are also full of chemicals that can be harmful. That’s how they get it to make your hair super stiff. And unless you find a gel that’s made mostly with all-natural ingredients, you could end up damaging your hair.
On the other hand, pomades are much better for your hair, especially if you have thick, curly hair. You can find more healthier options for pomades that won’t destroy your hair and that will actually keep it moisturized and hydrated.
That’s what it boils down to for me. Pomades have much better, healthier options for your hair and even though a lot of them have amazing hold, they won’t harm your hair like a lot of gels do, especially a pomade from this list of best pomades for curly hair men.
Is Pomade Good for Frizzy Hair?
Yes, pomades are great for frizzy hair types. They’re great because they have some of the best holds when you compare them to gels and mousses.
There are also a lot of pomades that are made specifically for taming frizzy and unruly hair which can be a lot for the guys with curly hair.
But again, for me, it all comes down to the ingredients. And pomades tend to be made with much healthier ingredients, especially if you grab one from this list of best pomades for curly hair men.
What To Look for When Buying Pomades for Curly Hair Men
When buying pomades for curly hair men, I would first look for one that has all-natural ingredients or as close to all-natural as possible. You’ll want to get a pomade that has essential oils like Castor Oil or Coconut Oil because they keep your hair moisturized and nourished.
I would also look for one that has frizz control. When you have curly hair, you tend to have frizzy hair, too, so the need for frizz control is important. There’s also the hold strength to consider, too.
I like a pomade with a stronger hold for curly hair, too, just because curly hair is harder to control. But if you find a pomade that has great control it should also not make your hair hard and crunchy.
And the last thing I’d look for in a pomade for curly hair is the scent. There’s nothing better than using a grooming product that leaves your hair smelling great.