Spiky hair has always been cool AF. But you’ve got to spike it just right to get the perfect look you’re going for. And honestly, it comes down to using the right gel. So, here’s my top five list of the best gels for spiky hair.
Table of Contents
Paul Mitchell Sculpting Gel (Our Top Pick)
Paul Mitchell is one of those brands that’s been around since the early 80s. And over the past forty years, they’ve maintained a tight grip on the haircare industry by creating some of the best products around.
They’ve been used on models in fashion shows, on Hollywood actors and actresses, and everyday dudes like you and me.
But why their sculpting gel is one of the best gels for spiky hair is because this gel gives you a super maximum hold. I love that it’ll keep your hair in place for the entire day which saves you the headache of worrying about your spikes flattening by evening.
I also love that it’s vegan and paraben-free. What that means for you is that using this gel won’t damage your hair. It’s always important to use products that are vegan or all-natural to maintain your hair’s health.
This gel is great for all different hair types and it’s super easy to use. Just be sure to use it while your hair is damp. Gels, mousses, and pomades take well to damp hair.
- Smells amazing. An awesome citrus scent that’s mixed with peony, rose and chamomile.
- A little goes a long way. You don’t have to plaster a lot of gel in your hair to get the spikes you’re going for.
- Doesn’t make your hair too crispy or dry. There’s nothing worse than super hard and crunchy looking spikes.
- Overuse can dry your hair out. It’s important to remember to use just enough to get a good hold in your hair. And be sure to distribute it evenly. You don’t want spikes in the front and the back of your hair looking dry and flat.
- It’s super sticky on your hands. Be sure to use plenty of soap and remember that it may take a few times to get all the residue off.
Redken Brews is one of my favorite brands. They’re another awesome company that’s been creating award-winning hair products for a very long time. Since the 1960s they’ve made it a point to create haircare products that you can trust.
I love their Super Strong Sculpting Gel. And It’s one of the best gels for spiky hair. This gel gives your hair a maximum hold that doesn’t wear off hours later.
And your spikes will look amazing, too because it doesn’t give you that greasy or clumped together look like a lot of other gels do.
I also love that it doesn’t flake up or dry out which a lot of other brands like Bead Head or Suave do. And how it gives just the right amount of sheen to keep your spikes looking sleek and sexy.
And on those days that you’d like to switch it up and try a different kind of product for your hair, their pomade is one of the best smelling pomades for men that I’ve ever had the pleasure of using.
- Gives you a super strong hold without the flakes that can build up in your hair once it dries.
- Doesn’t make your hair look greasy or overprocessed.
- I love the scent. It’s not too strong and won’t overpower your cologne or body wash.
- Depending on your hair type, especially if you have thicker hair, the hold may not be strong enough.
- This gel is super thick. You have to be mindful not to overuse it when you’re applying it to your hair.
MITCH Spiking Glue for Men is created by the Paul Mitchell brand. And like I said above, they’ve been creating groundbreaking haircare products for the last forty years.
And there are several things I love about their spiking glue.
For starters, it’s great for all hair types. Doesn’t matter if you’ve got thin, fine, thick, or curly hair. You can use this gel to spike your hair to perfection and it will hold all day long.
I also love that it’s super healthy for your hair, too. It’s a vegan, gluten-free gel that does its job without harming your hair. There are no parabens, or other chemicals that some brands sneak into their products hoping you won’t notice.
And on top of all that goodness, it smells really awesome. It’s a masculine scent of pine mixed with a little lavender that gives your hair this manly, outdoorsy aroma that lingers throughout the day.
The only difference between this gel and the others is the fact that you can use it on both damp and dry hair. That’s super awesome for those days you’re running late and need to slap some get into your hair, spike it up and dash out the door.
- It’s versatile. So, you can use it on both damp and dry hair. I love that you have options to go for different looks when you use this gel.
- It’s healthy and great for your hair. There are no harmful parabens or other chemicals that eat your hair out.
- The scent is manly and lingers even after the gel has dried. My girl loves the scent, too.
- The hold is super hard when it dries. I wish it was a little more flexible so you can change your hairstyle later if you choose to.
- If you use too much, it can make your spikes look super processed and overly product-y. I’m sure that’s not what you’re looking for. Remember that less is more.
- You’ve got to style your hair quickly when you use this gel because it dries very fast and could stiffen before you have your spikes exactly how you want them.
Johnny B. started out with just one hair care product back in ’94. He sold that pomade door-to-door, and now twenty something years later the brand has over forty different products that all cater to men’s grooming and hair.
Their Trick Styling Glue is all about the hold.
It’s a super awesome gel for your spikes if you’re one of those guys that’s always on the move. What I love about this gel is that it’s sweat and water resistant.
That’s an awesome aspect of this gel that you can’t really beat. Picture yourself being caught out in the rain and not having to worry about your spikes getting wet and falling down your face. Or even worse, the gel getting in your eyes and burning the hell out of you.
With Johnny B. Trick Styling Glue, there’s none of that to worry about. You can even run ten miles sweating profusely and your spike will still look brand new when you’re done.
And that’s why it’s one of the best gels for spiky hair. There aren’t many other gels out there that have a hold as strong as this.
How can you not love a gel that holds your hair in place until you’re ready to shampoo it out and go for a fresh set of spikes?
- The hold is one of the best I’ve seen. You literally don’t have to worry about your spikes getting destroyed throughout the day.
- I love the sweat and water resistance. It’s perfect for the dudes that are always on the go. Just style your hair in the morning and boom, you’re done.
- Its shine could be a lot better. Depending on how much you use, it can make your hair look dull.
- I don’t love the scent. It smells like glue or medicine. And that’s not great.
Galactica is literally one the best gels for spiky hair. It’s also one of my personal favorites. It’s created by 320Pure, which is a brand that’s committed to making the best 100% natural haircare products that’s designed to heal your hair and give you a dope look, too.
There are some really outstanding ingredients in this gel. Everything from vitamins that feed your hair to make it thicker and stronger, to horse tail and sage, ingredients that strengthens your hair from its roots and cleans and reduces dandruff.
It’s also a water-based gel, too. That means that it doesn’t have any alcohol which is known to dry your hair out and cause damage.
You know what else I love about this hair gel?
It protects your hair from an overly oily scalp and dandruff, too. And it works awesome on any type of hair. Doesn’t matter if you have straight, curly, fine, or thick hair.
This joint will have your spikes looking killer.
- Awesome ingredients. You can’t beat the vitamins and ingredients like Saw Palmetto and Willow Bark––two ingredients that heal your hair and prevent damage.
- It smells amazing. Thanks to the all-natural ingredients, your hair will have a healthy but really nice and masculine scent throughout the day.
- It protects your hair from pollution and UV rays.
- I wish the hold was stronger.
- The scent is super strong which can be overwhelming if you have a sensitive nose.
How Do I Make My Hair Look Spiky?
Making your hair spiky is super easy to do. Just follow these steps.
- Make sure your hair is washed and clean of any other products.
- Towel dry your hair but leave it a little damp for the gel to take once you apply it.
- Grab your comb or brush and run it through your hair so there are no tangles or knots.
- Finger a small dime-sized amount of gel into your palm.
- Rub your hands together
- Then run your fingers through the front of your hair, spiking it to your liking. If you want your spikes to look more uniform, you can use a comb.
How Do I Keep My Hair Spiky All Day?
Keeping your hair spiky all day is important. Nobody wants their hair falling halfway through the day. Here are a few simple steps that’ll keep your spikes spiking all day long.
- Be sure your hair is clean before putting more gel in it and styling. If you’ve got leftover gel in your hair, it’s going to make it difficult to hold the new spikes.
- Use a “pre-styling” product that gives your hair volume. A good mousse will do the job. These are some of the best mousses for braids but can also be used on other hairstyles. And they’re great “pre-styling” mousses, too, that will make your spikes look sick AF.
- Now, grab any one of the best gels for spiky hair and start spiking your hair. It’s great if you layer the gel, too. That means adding gel a few different times to make sure the hold is as strong as possible. Just be sure to not overdo it.
- Then finish it all off with a good hairspray. I would even opt for a good Sea Salt Spray. We’ve even given you directions on how to use sea salt spray for all the dudes who haven’t before.
How Do I Get Messy Spiky Hair?
Getting messy spiky hair is simple and easy. Follow the same formula as above to make your hair spiky BUT instead of using a comb, which makes your spikes even and uniform, use your fingers.
Once you’ve followed the first few steps above to make your hair spiky, run your fingers through your hair making a messy design. Be sure to pull your hair from the roots so there’s a lot of volume and your spikes give a nice Brad Pitt messy spiked look.
How Do You Spike Fine Thin Hair?
If you have fine, thin hair, you can get spikes, too. Grab one of the gels that works for different hair types or specifically for thin hair and follow these directions.
- Make sure your hair is clean of any other products.
- Towel dry your hair but leave it a little damp.
- Grab one of the best gels for spiky hair and finger out a small amount into your palms.
- Apply it to your hair, spiking it with your fingers.
- Grab a fine-tooth comb and tease or spike up sections of your hair from the roots so that your hair looks thicker.
- Finish off with a couple spritz of hairspray.