For Black men, our hair is our pride and joy. So, these are the best hair moisturizers for Black men because there’s a lot more to keeping your hair healthy than a weekly barber appointment and a sick ass lineup. Moisturized and hydrated hair equals healthy, good-looking hair.
Table of Contents
Tea Tree Hair And Body Moisturizer (Our Top Pick)
This is one of my favorites. I love Tea Tree Hair and Body Moisturizer because it’s dependable and versatile. And I love that you can use it to keep your hair healthy and hydrated, then turn around and use it on your skin, too.
This is one of the best moisturizing products created under the Paul Mitchell Haircare, one of the top brands in the haircare game since 1980.
But here’s what I love about this moisturizer. I love that it’s great for all different hair and skin types. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got fine, curly, or coarse hair, you can use this moisturizer, leave it in your hair and in no time see a difference in the way it looks and feels.
I chalk it up to the ingredients they use. There’s Jojoba Oil, Peppermint, and Tea Tree Oil––all essentials that keep your hair looking healthy and shiny and smelling good, too.
And there’s an added bonus, too: You can use this moisturizer as a soother after shaving, too. Because of its cooling and hydrating effects, it makes a great addition to your shaving routine.
But it’s really about the hair. And this is one of the best hair moisturizers for Black men that you can find. It’ll leave your hair smooth and feeling silky. And your girl will absolutely love running her fingers through your hair.
- Awesome ingredients like Jojoba Seed Oil, Peppermint, and Tea Tree Oil. All great for healthy, awesome smelling hair. They’re great for hydrating and nourishing even the driest hair around. Talk about rejuvenation!
- I love that it’s great for all hair types. Doesn’t matter if your hair is fine, curly, or coarse. This moisturizer will work well for you.
- The added bonus of using it on your skin after shaving is sick. How amazing is that? I love the versatility and how you can use it for multiple things.
- The scent could be better. I don’t like the mixture of the peppermint and tea tree oil’s aroma. It’s a weird blend that can be overwhelming and clash with your cologne or body wash.
- It can dry your skin out if you use too much. I always recommend using just a small quarter sized amount to get the job done. There’s no need to overdo it with this moisturizer.
Shea Moisture Hair Moisturizer
Shea Moisture Hair Moisturizer is one of my favorites on this list. They’ve been using one of the best formulas for healthy Black hair since Sofi Tucker invented it in 1912 all the way in Sierra Leone and passed it down through generations of Black women.
But this moisturizer isn’t just for women.
This one is a heavy-duty moisturizer that’s filled with all kinds of all-natural ingredients strong enough to heal and prevent overly dry and damaged hair.
And here’s my favorite aspect about this product: the super healthy ingredients. They’re the reason this is one of the best hair moisturizers for Black men. With essential oils like Coconut Oil, Blackseed Oil, Argan and Castor Oil, this moisturizer packs a punch as powerful as Mike Tyson in the 90s––you just can’t beat it.
These oils––along with Acai Berry, Aloe and African Black Soap and others––are powerful ingredients that will keep your hair clean and feed it the nourishment it needs to look its best and be its healthiest.
And because Black hair tends to be drier and coarser, these are the kinds of ingredients you want in your moisturizer. You want ingredients that feed your hair and prevents dryness, damage, and premature thinning.
These do exactly that.
- This thing is filled with some of the best all-natural ingredients that are uber healthy for your hair. The essential oils alone are strong enough to heal and prevent damaged hair.
- All-natural. That means there are no parabens, no sulfates, and no mineral oils.
- It’s also not tested on animals which is a big plus. We’re definitely not down with animal cruelty.
- I hate that alcohol is one of the ingredients. Alcohol can actually dry out your hair instead of moisturizing it. Plus, it’s just not a great ingredient to put in your hair even if it doesn’t dry it out too much.
- The product can be super sticky and heavy, too. Having your hair feeling weighed down and heavy isn’t a good feeling.
- Using too much can make your hair hard. You want to remember to only use a small dime sized amount so that you’re not overdoing it.
As I Am Double Butter Cream
As I am Double Butter Cream is one of the unique moisturizers on this list. It’s created by a doctor who’s studied chemistry and became an expert in the research and care of African descended hair. And he’s been creating some of the best haircare for people of color since 1984.
But this is one of the best hair moisturizers for Black men that you’ll find. Its carefully crafted formula includes awesome ingredients like Almond Oil, Castor Oil, Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, and Shea Butter.
If you don’t know by now, these are some of my favorite ingredients because they are natural butters and organic oils, but they’re also so freaking good for your hair. If you’ve got dry, damaged, or brittle hair, these are the types of ingredients you’ll want to be sure are included in your moisturizer’s formula.
And because Black hair is more prone to dryness and damage, it’s vital that you get a moisturizer that rejuvenates and prevents further damage from happening.
You wouldn’t leave the house looking ashy, right? So, why wouldn’t you make sure your hair isn’t looking dry, too.
With As I am, you don’t have to worry about that.
Pro Tip: The best time to use this product is right after the shower.
- Make sure your hair is a little damp but towel dried.
- Squirt out a quarter sized amount into the palm of your hand and rub them together vigorously.
- Be sure to spread the moisturizer evenly throughout your hair.
- Style your hair however you wish.
- I love the all-natural butters and the organic essential oils in this product. You can’t go wrong with a blend of Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, and Castor Oil.
- This thing smells amazing. I give credit to the butters and oils here too because it takes just one whiff of this moisturizer to have people wondering what you’re wearing to smell so damn good.
- I hate that there are sulfates in this formula. Sulfates are horrible ingredients and can damage your hair over the long term.
- There’s also silicone. Not a good thing to add to a formula made for people with dry hair. Silicone can dry your hair out even more.
Tgin Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer
Tgin (Thank God It’s Natural) brings the heat when it comes to the best hair moisturizers for Black men. They’ve been featured all over the place from ABC News and Fox News to USA Today and Essence.
And for good reason, too.
Their Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer is one of the best in the game. It’s enriched with Vitamin E, Shea Butter, and Cocoa Butter which of course are some phenomenal ingredients for your hair. They don’t only keep your hair looking good, they are actually good for your hair.
Who wouldn’t want to use a product that’s teeming with amazingness like Shea Butter? It’s one of my favorite butters because it locks moisture into every single strand of hair you’ve got.
But not only that, along with the Coconut Oil, it gets deep down into your scalp and promotes hair growth.
One of the amazing aspects of this moisturizer is that you can use it every single day or every other day without having to worry about it drying out or damaging your hair. That’s why I always tell you how awesome all-natural products are.
And you can breathe easily. There are no parabens, sulfates, or artificial colors in this moisturizer. They don’t even test it on animals which is always a huge plus.
- Incredible all-natural ingredients like Shea Butter, Vitamin E, Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter that are all outstanding ingredients for your hair.
- There are no artificial colors or harmful ingredients like parabens and sulfates. That’s awesome because you want your hair healthy and growing, not dry and falling out.
- Isn’t tested on animals. Again, we’re not down with animal cruelty around here.
- I don’t like that it can leave your hair feeling stiff. That’s the opposite of what you’re trying to do.
- Some people may be allergic to some of the natural ingredients. It’s important to make sure none of them will cause an adverse reaction when you use it.
- It leaves your hair sticky. Definitely not one of my favorite things about this moisturizer. I hate that clammy feeling on your hands after using it.
What Should Black Men Use to Moisturize Their Hair?
Black hair has a very particular texture and need when it comes to being healthy. Because Black people’s hair tends to be drier and coarser, it’s imperative that you’re using moisturizers that enrich and nourish your hair rather than cause it to damage and dry out more.
So, in my opinion, some of the best hair moisturizers for Black men have all natural ingredients like Cocoa Butter , Shea Butter, and Essential Oils that feed your hair and allow it to grow, shine and be healthy.
Always make sure your moisturizer has these key ingredients and you won’t have to worry about anything but a bomb ass lineup.
Should Black Men Moisturize Their Hair Every Day?
Yes! It’s 100% important that you’re moisturizing your hair every day. Because Black men’s hair are naturally drier, you have to put in the effort to make sure you’re keeping your hair healthy.
A great moisturizer will keep your hair soft and hydrated throughout the day and won’t cause further damage because of harmful chemicals.
And that’s why it’s super important to find a daily moisturizer. They’re created specifically for daily use, and they have some of the best ingredients you’ll find.
Just be sure they’re an all-natural moisturizer and not one of those big box brands like Axe or Suave that throw anything into their products.
How Do Black Men Moisturize Their Scalp?
You may think moisturizing your scalp is hard to do, but it’s not. In fact, it’s super easy. All you have to do is follow these steps and you’ll have a hydrated and healthy scalp and an amazing looking head of hair.
- Wash then towel-dry your hair.
- Seal in the moisture with an oil like jojoba-based oil because it does an awesome job of locking in the moisture to your hair.
- Add your moisturizer and be sure to rub it thoroughly through your hair getting every part of your scalp. It’s great to use a moisturizer or leave-in conditioner because it’ll rejuvenate and keep your hair healthy while you go about your day.