Any guy who knows what 360 waves are wants them––the deeper, the better. So, here’s a list of the best pomades for waves this year, because, trust me, that’s all you really need. A good pomade will have your hair spinning waves in no time.
Table of Contents
Layrite Superhold Pomade (Our Top Pick)
Layrite Superhold Pomade is one of my go-to’s. It’s created by a former barber who knows his stuff when it comes to men’s hair. If you’re trying to get those deep waves dudes dream about, grab a jar of this and you’ll be well on your way.
What I really dig and what makes this one of the best pomades for waves is that it’s so different from the others on the market. Layrite is water-based. Most pomades you’d find in drugstores or at your local grocery store aren’t. Those are made with chemicals that could destroy your hair instead of giving you the waves you want.
But Layrite Superhold Pomade also includes super-healthy key ingredients like Coconut and Castor Oil. These oils work wonders for your hair. They condition and moisturize to help your hair get and stay healthy––the hallmark of a bomb set of waves.
Think of Layrite Superhold Pomade as the sealant that locks in the moisture these oils give.
Pro Tip: You can use Layrite Superhold Pomade on your beard and mustache, too. Just dig out a scoop with your index finger, smear it into your palm, rub your hands together then run it through your beard. Dab some on your mustache, too to keep your facial hair looking sharp all day.
- Water-based pomade made with ingredients like Castor Oil and Coconut Oil that will keep your hair conditioned and healthy.
- It can be used on your facial hair, too. I’m all about a product that serves more than one purpose.
- Great for all different hair types from medium to curly, to coarse, and even thick.
- The hold is bomb and will definitely have your hair spinning waves in no time.
- The scent is very strong. It can be overwhelming if you have a sensitive nose. You may not want to have the scent lingering around you all day long.
- Doesn’t work that well on super-straight hair. If that’s you, you’re going to have to go with a different type of product for that super hold you’re looking for.
- I’m not gonna lie to you, the stuff is sticky. You’re gonna need some serious hand soap when you’re done.
Baxter Of California Clay Pomade
Baxter of California Clay Pomade is legit one of the best pomades if you’re trying to get waves. Not only have they been creating premium products since 1965, their products are fit to bring out the gentleman in you. And let me kick you some quick game: chicks love a clean, good-looking gentleman with fresh waves.
But what I love about Baxter of California’s clay pomade is the clay itself. It’ll have your hair looking slick, sleek, and shiny, all while holding it in place for the entire day.
And then there are the essential oils––Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sage Oil, Fennel Oil, and Castor Seed Oil––that give your hair outstanding hydration. That’s the key to healthy hair. If you’re one of the guys who deal with overly dry hair, this is the pomade you’d want to use to get the perfect set of waves.
This pomade will hold your waves in place and feed your hair the vitamins and nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
- I love that this pomade is made with some of the best essential oils around. They give your hair so much goodness and add to the pomade’s amazing citrus scent.
- It’s geared to the gentleman in you. Using this pomade will not only have your waves tight and held in place all day, but you’ll be walking around feeling like the man.
- Gives a nice firm hold that lasts all day. You don’t have to worry about your waves losing their spin by late afternoon.
- This pomade is limited to guys with straight hair. If you have curly or thick hair, this isn’t for you.
- It doesn’t give your hair the shine that I like. It’s great for holding your hair in place but sometimes a guy likes to shine when he walks into a room.
American Crew Pomade
Any best pomade list ain’t legit without American Crew Pomade. I love this one because it’s one of the best pomades for black hair. They’ve created their pomade to work for all types of hair textures and that’s one of the things I love so much about this brand. No matter your hair type, they’ve got you covered.
Another aspect about the American Crew Pomade that really makes me sit up and take notice is the way this pomade makes your hair look. I’m all about looking sleek and feeling sharp and this pomade does that for your waves. Thanks to ingredients like Hydrogenated Castor Oil and Safflower Seed Oil, your waves will look soft and moisturized. Trust me, there’s nothing worse than having dry waves. But if you want to add a natural, sleek shine, this is one of the best pomades for waves.
Pro Tip: Be sure to remember that a little goes a long way with this pomade. There’s no need to overdo it. You can slick a finger-length amount into the palm of your hand and that’s more than enough to have your waves sitting pretty for the day.
- A great pomade that does an outstanding job on all types of hair.
- Gives your waves a natural and sleek look to it. You’ll never have to worry about your waves looking dry.
- Has a very strong and masculine scent that lasts throughout the day.
- Not great if your hair is thinning. Because this pomade has a dynamic hold, it’ll show the thinning by matting your hair together. It won’t be a good look for trying to get waves.
- The scent is super strong so it could clash with your body wash, lotion, or cologne. That sucks if you’re into your aromas as much as I am.
Redken Brews Cream Pomade
We all know how irritating that in-between stage is when you’re trying to grow your waves, right? Well, Redken Brews Cream Pomade is one of the best wave pomades for wolfing. In fact, a bunch of their products have won awards because of how outstanding they are.
And their Redken Brews Cream Pomade follows suit. It takes pomade to a whole ‘nother level.
But what I really love about this pomade is that it gives your waves a real natural shine to it. You don’t have to worry about walking around looking crazy because people can tell you’ve got product in your hair.
And it has some phenomenal ingredients, too. Oils like hydrogenated olive oil, castor oil and hydrolyzed wheat protein are key ingredients in this pomade that’ll keep your hair moisturized and looking healthy all day.
Remember, moisturized hair is healthy hair.
Pro Tip: Because this pomade is great for all types of hair, you can apply it to your waves whether wet or dry. Just finger out a small amount, rub it into your palm and then run it over your waves. You will leave the house looking amazing after using this pomade.
- It’s a great water-based pomade that looks natural in your hair. Who wants to walk around with their waves looking crazy?
- It’s also a great product for all types of hair. And it’s one of the best wave pomades for wolfing. I know you hate that in-between stage as much as I do.
- It helps your hair look thicker and shinier which is super-awesome for the fellas thinning.
- I don’t like how sticky it is. It can be annoying trying to get it off your hands completely.
Mitch Reformer Hair Putty
Paul Mitchell has been around since Ronald Reagan was first elected President of the United States and CNN gave their very first broadcast. And over the past 40 years, they’ve created some of the world’s best award-winning hair products.
Their Reformer Hair Putty is no different. It’s one of their top-of-the-line products that does an outstanding job creating 360 waves. It’s filled with ingredients like Citric Acid, Hydrogenated Castor Oil and Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil which are amazing oils that keep your hair healthy.
Not to mention, Citric Acid smells bomb.
But here’s what I really love about this pomade and what makes it one of the best pomades for waves: it has thickening ingredients, too. That means that it will have your hair looking, thick, full, and healthy––a confidence boost for any guy dealing with thinning.
Another thing I absolutely love about the Mitch Reformer Hair Putty is that it’s Vegan, Gluten Free, Paraben Free. You don’t have to worry about those chemicals that’ll damage your waves instead of having them looking healthy and awesome.
- It’s made with ingredients that’ll bulk up and thicken your hair. That’s a great look for anyone with thinning hair.
- Has a matte formula that keeps your waves held all day without looking too “product-y”.
- It has an awesome pine scent that’ll have your hair smelling masculine but clean and nice, too.
- Because it’s gritty, it can leave annoying flecks of grit in your hair.
- The hold isn’t as strong as I’d like. It can fall by the end of the day which sucks.
Should I Use Pomades for Waves?
Yes! Using a pomade for waves is the best thing you can do. If you want those deep, clean, 360 waves, a good pomade is the way to go. There are good pomades and there are bad pomades that’ll damage your hair and have your waves looking dry. You want to stay away from those.
But the good pomades ––like the ones on this list of best pomades for waves––will keep your waves looking shiny. But more importantly, they’ll keep your hair healthy. And that’s so great about pomades––most are created with formulas that hydrate your hair and add texture to your waves. And they’ll seal in the moisture your hair needs to create those amazing 360 waves––and fast, too.
What Does Pomade Do for Your Waves?
A good pomade works wonders for your waves. Not only does it give you that good, strong hold that’ll keep your waves in shape and intact throughout the day, but they also nourish, too.
A lot of pomades (especially the natural ones) will soften the texture of your hair while moisturizing it at the same time. This is crucial for quickly getting through the wolfing stage and getting your waves into the 360-spin pattern.
Pomades also give your waves that perfect and sleek shine without having your waves look or feel crunchy and hard like gels do. They also very rarely flake up.
When Should I Use Pomade for Waves?
The best time to use a pomade for waves is right after you get out of the shower. Once you’ve showered and washed and conditioned your hair is the perfect time to use pomade for your waves because your hair is fresh and ready to be set.
And that’s because the steam from the shower makes your hair more pliable.
A lot of pomades work on both wet and dry hair. So, even if you want to dry your hair after you get out of the shower, you’re more than welcome to. Just be sure to use the pomade right after you shower because that’s the perfect time to get your hair to set and obey the 360-wave pattern.