You may not realize it but there is a huge difference between the best hairsprays for men and the worst hairspray for men. Gone are the days of that crunchy, hard gel-ish look from the Y2K era. We want our shit looking tight, right fellas?
Confidently walking into a room feeling like the man comes from looking sharp and feeling our best.
And that starts with having amazing hair.
Table of Contents
Sebastian Professional Shaper (Our Top Pick)
Sebastian is one of those brands you can trust. They’ve been creating some of the best haircare products since 1970. That’s more than half a century. Imagine all the expertise and know how they’ve gained in those 52 years.
And since their beginning 5 decades ago, they’ve dominated the haircare space and their products are sold literally all over the world.
What I love about their Professional Shaper and why it’s one of the best hairsprays for men is its performance. This thing brings out a level of confidence in you that comes from knowing that your hairstyle won’t fall or look jacked up within a couple hours.
Can Axe or Bead Head say the same? I doubt it.
Sebastian’s Professional Shaper gives your hair that nice, firm finish with a smooth sheen, that you’d see on a Brad Pitt or Zac Efron. And it doesn’t make your hair stiff or crunchy.
I love that it dries quickly, too. There’s nothing worse than those brands that takes forever to dry and bleed onto your shirt collar.
But you don’t have to worry about any of that with this one.
And there’s a plus, too. It’s humidity resistant. There’s no better news than that. Especially when you’re dealing with those hot, humid, and muggy summer months.
Pro Tip: This hairspray works really well on damp hair. So, it’s best to use it after you’ve showered and have towel dried your hair. Just be sure to leave your hair a little damp so it takes.
- I love the extra firm finish this spray gives. It’ll have your hair looking sleek AF, not too shiny or too dull.
- It’s a big plus that it dries super-fast. Other hairsprays like Rave or Bed Head take forever to dry. Those hairsprays can have you looking crazy heading into the office with a horrible hairspray ring around the collar.
- My favorite aspect is that it’s humidity resistant. That means yes, you can take this to South Beach and not have to worry about your hair getting frizzy or looking weird when you walk down Collins Ave.
- It works best for fine hair and medium hair. If you’ve got curly or coarse hair, this hairspray won’t do much for you.
- Using too much can give you that hard, crunchy hair that everyone hates now. With this hairspray less is more. I don’t want you looking like a Backstreet Boy.
Brickell Men’s Sea Salt Spray
Brickell gets it right when it comes to some of the best all-natural and organic men’s skincare and grooming products. They’re a big hit all over the world and are sold in more than 110 different countries. They’ve even been praised in the pages of GQ, Men’s Journal, Men’s Health, and Men’s Fitness, too.
And that’s for a very good reason.
Their products kick ass.
But their Men’s Sea Salt Spray knocks it out the park like Derek Jeter in the bottom of the ninth. Especially if you’re one of those dudes looking for that natural beach-y, Malibu, Palm Springs, cruising through Ft. Lauderdale vibe. This hairspray gives you exactly that.
It also gives your hair a nice, firm grip, but allows you the flexibility of changing your hairstyle halfway through the day if you’d like.
And it fights frizz, too.
But besides having your hair look amazing, this hairspray feeds your hair some of the most vital nutrients that make it thicker, stronger, and healthier. And it does that with powerful ingredients like Green Tea Gunpowder, Honeysuckle Flower Extract, Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein, and Argan Oil.
And it’s super simple to use.
You can use it on both damp and dry hair. If you want a matte finish, it’s best to use it on dry hair. All it takes is 5 to 10 sprays into your hair for an awesome hold.
Just remember to spray close to the roots when you use it. It works best like that.
- I love that this hairspray is alcohol free. Alcohol is known to dry your hair out.
- It’s a great thing when brands use healthy products. And this hairspray is full of all natural, organic products. That’s why it’s one of the best hairsprays for men.
- There are no parabens, sulfates, or synthetic fragrance or colors. You don’t have to worry about any of those harmful chemicals with this product.
- It’s unscented. I wish it had even a hint of aroma. Guys want our hair to look good, but we want it to smell good, too.
- It doesn’t provide as much texture as I’d like. And that sucks if you’re looking for something that’ll give your hair that extra umph.
American Crew Grooming Spray
American Crew holds a special place in my heart. They’re a brand that makes some of the most awesome grooming products for men and was named America’s #1 Styling Brand according to Nielseniq, which keeps track of all the sales of different grooming brands in the country. They’re like the Billboard chart but for hair.
And just a side note: I swear by their pomade which is actually one of our 5 best pomades for waves this year. Just thought I’d throw that in for any of you looking to rock some 360 waves this summer.
But I digress. Their grooming spray.
What I really love about the American Crew Grooming Spray is, like their pomade, its flexibility. With this hairspray you don’t have to worry about it making your hair crunchy or have your hair looking stiff and crazy.
And that’s uber important if you ask me.
But have you ever used a product that takes forever to wash out completely? Remember how annoying that was?
Well, with this hairspray you don’t have to worry about that headache anymore. This washes out super easily and there’s no tiny flakes or residue hiding on your scalp once you’ve washed it out.
And when it comes to ingredients, there’s really great stuff like Aloe Leaf Juice and Beeswax which is like a one, two punch of hydration for your hair.
The Aloe Leaf Juice will be great for proving the moisture your hair needs to stay healthy, and the Beeswax will hold that moisture in place, so all that goodness is locked into each strand of hair.
Pro Tip: You can use this hairspray on either dry or damp hair. If you’re using it on damp hair, be sure that you’ve towel-dried out most of the moisture, leaving your hair just a little damp. It’s easier for the hairspray to take hold.
- I love the ingredients. There’s Aloe Leaf Juice which is an amazing hydrating ingredient that’ll keep your hair moisturized. And that’s great. Like I always say, hydrated hair is healthy hair.
- It’s a huge plus that it washes out easily.
- It’s Paraben-free. No need to worry about those harmful chemicals destroying your hair’s health and God knows what else they do. It’s always best to stay away from any grooming product with parabens.
- The flexibility. Being able to change your hairstyle later in the day if you choose to, is awesome. Especially if you’re like me and love to head to a good Happy Hour after work.
- Using too much can make your hair stiff and crunchy. That sucks.
- Don’t overdo it. Using too much can make your hair look dull, too. Once you find the perfect amount that works for your hair, it’ll be easy for you to judge how much to use.
Living Proof Hairspray
The thing about Living Proof Hairspray that I really love is the science behind it. How cool is it that this brand was created by a group of biotech scientists and a group of longtime hairdressers? The unlikely group came together to create some really awesome products that make your hair look good but not damage it in the process.
And their hairspray is one of the best hairsprays for men.
One of my favorite aspects of this hairspray is its scent. It’s a super cool, citrus-y, mixed with powder, kind of scent that reminds me of hanging out on the back porch with my friends on a cool summer day.
I love it.
But there are also other great things I love, too. Like the fact that it gives your hair a nice, firm all-day hold. That it protects against humidity, which means you won’t be walking around looking like Carrot Top by the end of the day. And it’s also flake-free.
I don’t know about you but that’s one of my pet peeves in a hair product. I hate when they leave those horrendous white flakes all over your hair that makes it look like you have a bad case of dandruff.
And no matter how much you try to get rid of them, it’s like they never leave .
There’s none of that with this hairspray.
- You can use this hairspray on wet or dry hair. I love that versatility and being able to go for different looks depending on whether your hair is dry or damp.
- Gives a really nice shine. Using just the right amount will give your hair a nice hold but a really good shine, too.
- There’s nothing better than a flake-free hair product. And this one is exactly that. You don’t have to worry about any flakes in your hair hours after using it. That’s for other brands like Axe and Garnier.
- The scent smells great but it’s strong. Because it lingers in your hair, you can get a headache if you use too much.
- I wish the hold was a little stronger. I love the flexibility of it allowing you to change hairstyles if you want, but the hold could definitely be stronger.
Baxter of California Style Spray
Baxter of California is like the Cadillac of men’s grooming. These former barbers have been creating some of the best grooming products for men since its founding in 1965.
Their Style Spray is no different.
There’s a boatload of reasons this is one of the best hairsprays for men and we can start with the ingredients. There’s Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Green Tea Extract which are really great ingredients that give your hair the vitamins and nutrients it needs to be healthy.
They’re also known to fight thinning hair, too, which is a big plus in my book.
But I also love that it’s one of those hairsprays that anyone can use regardless of your hair type. Some of the best products are the ones that can be used on fine, thick, curly, straight, or coarse hair, and this is one of those products.
But there are other benefits this hairspray gives, too. It has a thickening effect that makes your hair look and feel thicker. So, while it’s feeding your hair so that it grows, it makes your hair look like it’s already full and thick.
As a dude whose hair is thinning, I can’t tell you how much that rocks and helps to boost my confidence when I walk into a room. If your hair is thinning, too, this is one of the best hairsprays for men.
- I love the matte finish. It’s a smooth, claylike finish that looks really dope.
- The ingredients are amazing. The essential oils they’ve included in this hairspray are amazing choices because they are phenomenal for your hair’s health.
- You can use this hairspray even if you have color-treated hair. Some brands have hairspray that can cause your hair to break off if it’s dyed. This one doesn’t do that.
- I’m not a fan of how hard it makes you hair. It can make your hair mad crunchy if you use too much.
- It flakes up. That’s one of the things that sucks about this hairspray. I hate that once it dries it can turn flakey and have your hair looking crazy.
- It’s important to pay attention to how much you’re using because it can make your hair look greasy. And I definitely don’t want that.
How To Use Hairspray for Guys
Hairspray is a great finish to add to your hair for a great look and hold to any hairstyle. Just follow these few steps after you’ve grab any of the product on this list of best hairsprays for men.
- Wash and condition your hair while showering.
- Once out of the shower, towel dry your hair but be sure to leave it slightly damp. (Some hair sprays can be used on dry hair but if you’re going for a stiffer look with a stronger hold, use the hairspray while your hair is damp.)
- Comb or brush your hair into the style you want and be sure to get any stray flyaway strands.
- Hold the spray 10 to 12 inches from your hair and then start spraying. It’s good to go in a circular motion.
- After you’ve covered your hair evenly with hairspray you are good to go.
Pro Tip: Cover or close your eyes while spraying. Some hair sprays have alcohol and other chemicals that can irritate your eyes. And be sure to wash your hands with soap when done. You don’t want any residue left on your hands then touch your eyes or anything like that.
Is Hairspray Bad for Men’s Hair?
There’s a huge difference between getting one of the best hairsprays for men vs bad hairspray. The good ones are the ones with healthy ingredients that won’t damage and eat away at your hair in the long run. But using hairspray in moderation isn’t bad for men’s hair.
You just need to remember a couple things:
- Use a hairspray that has as many all-natural or healthy ingredients as possible. (Think Green Tea Extract or Essential Oils that nourish your hair.)
- Use hairspray in moderation. Some days it’s good to use a pomade or something else to allow your hair to breathe.
- Be sure to wash and condition your hair regularly. You don’t want the residue to build up and clog your scalp. That’s how you damage your hair and get acne and other kinds of bumps on your scalp.
Does Hairspray Make You Bald?
Nope. Hairspray does not make you go bald. In fact, hairspray is actually a good product for guys whose hair is thinning. It’s not like a gel or a mousse that will weigh your hair down or clump your hair together so there are gaps showing your hair loss.
As long as you’re using hair spray that doesn’t have harmful chemicals like alcohol or parabens and other toxins (a lot of those grocery store brands have them) then you should be good. Many of the best hairsprays for men are great when it comes to this.
Just keep an eye on how much you’re using. It’s always a good idea to let your hair breathe every now and then.
Is Sleeping with Hairspray Bad?
I wouldn’t say it’s the worst thing to go to bed without washing the hairspray out of your hair, but I wouldn’t make it a habit.
A lot of hair sprays tend to dry up and flake and if you make it a habit of leaving the chemicals they’re made with in your hair for too long and then adding more in the morning, that’s where sleeping with hairspray gets bad.
Nobody’s going to die if you fall asleep with hairspray, but again, just be mindful of the chemicals and the long-term effects it can have to continuously go to sleep with hairspray, even if they’re one of the best hairsprays for men.